I love summer and all the great, light foods you can prepare. Nothing better than a fresh salad served on a warm summer evening, relaxing on my balcony, enjoying a glass of crisp white wine, listening to the swallows and crickets, and to the neighborhood kids playing and enjoying these light and pleasant evenings. These are the moments I cherish.
One of my favorite "salads" is this potato salad, served lukewarm. Full of flavors, embodiment of summer.
Ingredients (serves 4)
16-20 tiger prawns (or large scampi or shrimp)
2 tablespoons mild vegetable oil (such as rapeseed)
1 garlic clove
1 tablespoon mild mustard
4 tablesoons white wine vinegar
6 tablespoons mild vegetable oil (such as rapeseed)
a few sprigs parsley
2 lb. young small potatoes
1 bunch radishes
salt and pepper
2 tablepoons butter
1. Wash and dry prawns. Mix lemon juice with 2 tablespoons oil and smashed garlic. Add prawns, cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
2. For the dressing, mix mustard, vinegar and oil. Peel and finely chop onion and parsley; add to the dressing and mix well. Set aside.
3. Boil potatoes (leave skin on) for about 15-20 minutes, until tender, but still al dente. Drain and let cool for a few minutes.
4. Depending on the size of your potatoes, cut in half or thick slices. Add some butter to a frying pan, and over medium meat fry potatoes for about 10-15 minutes until golden and slightly crispy (make sure not to burn them).
5. In the meantime, thoroughly wash cucumber and radishes. Cut cucumber in half lengthwise, then into thin slices. Slice radishes. Put both into a large bowl.
6. When potatoes are done, let cool for a minute or two, then add to vegetables and mix with dressing.
7. Briefly sauté prawns over high heat (make sure not to overcook) and serve on top of salad.