It was Julie's first birthday. Can you believe it? I can't! A year goes by just so quickly, too quickly. Julie has been such a joy for us ever since we first held her in our arms.
The first year definitely is a very exciting one, not only for the parents, but for the little ones, too. So many new skills need to be mastered, so many things be explored, so many new foods be tasted. Julie's culinary repertoire moved from breast milk to almost everything we put in front of her. I am so happy she inherited my love for food and my zest for eating! With spring arriving here in Switzerland, and the first fresh strawberries available, we made these little berries the star of Julie's birthday party. We had little strawberry tartlettes and a fresh strawberry roll. Delicious!
½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup flour (sieved)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 pinch salt
1 cup heavy cream
a handful of white sugar
clean kitchen towel (cotton)
1. Separate egg whites and yolks.
2. Beat egg whites until firm.
3. Whisk yolks and sugar for a few minutes until color turns light. Add vanilla extract.
4. Mix in half of the flour and 2 tablespoons of egg whites, then add the rest of the flour, the baking powder and the pinch of salt.
5. With a spoon carefully add the rest of the egg whites, don’t whisk too much to avoid losing the firmness of the egg whites.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
7. Put parchment paper on a baking tray and evenly spread the batter (ideally in a rectangle shape).
8. Bake for about 10 minutes.
9. In the meantime, fold out the kitchen towel and put on counter or table, sprinkle sugar on top evenly.
10. Take baking tray with your batter out of the oven and topple over on towel, slowly remove parchment paper, use the towel to roll the baked batter from the longer side, let cool down.
11. Wash, hull and slice strawberries.
12. Add vanilla extract to cream and whip until firm (be careful, whipping for too long will turn the cream into butter, so have an eye on it!). You can use canned whipped cream, but we prefer to do our own, it just tastes so much better).
13. When the cake base is cold, carefully unroll, spread whipped cream and sliced strawberries and roll up again, and then cut into 1 inch slices.